EEA Citizens

EEA Citizens


Tamsons Legal Services are experts in EU law and can assist clients in all EU applications.



EEA citizens and their family members enjoy certain freedoms under the EEA Treaty Rights. This means that they are subject to different Immigration Rules as those from outside the EEA (Third Country Nationals). Unlike non-EEA citizens, EU nationals do not need to apply for a visa before they enter the UK although any family members outside the EEA will have to. They can however apply for a residency card that will certify their status in the UK. The types of residency cards and permits are explained below.




Under European law, you do not need to obtain documentation confirming your right of residence in the UK however this may be beneficial should you ever need to demonstrate that you are residing in the UK. For example, if you wish to bring any of your family members who are not EEA nationals to live with you in the UK.


You can apply for a registration certificate if you are an EEA Citizen:


  1. Employed or self-employed or

  2. Studying or

  3. Economically self-sufficient or

  4. A job seeker or

  5. Retired or

  6. Someone who has had to cease working in the UK owing to permanent incapacity.


There are two types of residency documents. A registration certificate that certifies that you are exercising your EEA Treaty rights in the UK and a document certifying permanent residence which you can apply after 5 years continues residence.


Family Members of EEA nationals who are not EU Citizens can also apply to join or remain in the UK with their EEA nationals. If outside the United Kingdom non-EU family members are required to apply for EEA Family permits and those in the UK will need to apply for residence cards as confirmation of their right to reside in the UK. After 5 years non-EEA family members may become eligible for a permanent residence card.