British Citizenship

Indefinite Leave

Nationality Law and becoming British


If you have indefinite leave to remain or permanent residence (if you are EEA national or a family member of an EEA national) you may be able to apply to become a British citizen through a process known as Naturalisation. Those with indefinite leave to remain also need to have held that status for at least 12 months and also meet the good character requirements. This means you shouldn’t have breached the immigration rules in the last 10 years or have unspent criminal convictions.  The number of days spent overseas may also affect your eligibility to naturalise as a British citizen.


Children born in the UK to parents who did not have leave to remain could also register as British citizens if either of their parents acquire indefinite leave to remain or after the child accrues 10 years continues residence in the UK.


If you’re a Commonwealth citizen, you may also be eligible to apply for citizenship under the Windrush Scheme  if both you or one of your parents arrived in the UK before 1973 and you’ve lived in the UK and not been away from it for more than 2 years.


If your parent arrived in the UK before 1973, you must have either been born in the UK or arrived in the UK before you were 18.


Nationality law can be complex but at Tamsons Legal Services, we would ensure you tick all the relevant boxes to make your naturalisation or registration as smooth as possible.


People granted British citizens are given the same rights as those born in the UK. You will no longer be subject to immigration control.


For more details on becoming British, please contact us.